Cyprus is a member of the European Union since 2004, and as a result it complies with all European directives and standards.
The Cyprus Organisation for Standardisation (CYS) represents the country's main standardization body. CYS is responsible for the preparation, publication, revision and amendment of Cyprus standards and the promotion of their implementation.
The agency is governed by a 7-member Board of Directors, appointed by the government. The members are the major stakeholders in governmental and non-governmental organizations.
CYS is a full member of international organizations for standardization such as ISO and IEC. The agency also represents the country at European Standardization Organizations such as CEN, CENELEC and ETSI.
The Cyprus Organization for the Promotion of Quality is the country's main body responsible for conformity assessment and accreditation issues.
The Cyprus Organization for the Promotion of Quality supports the necessary infrastructures and operating Certification Schemes for Products, Quality Systems, Environmental Management Systems and Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Systems. It has also has all necessary infrastructure for testing and calibration centers and has promotes the strengthening and upgrading of existing public laboratories for inspection and testing.
The Cyprus Organization for the Promotion of Quality is the official representative of the Republic of Cyprus to:
- the European co-operation for Accreditation (EA)
- the International Laboratory Accreditation Cooperation (ILAC)
- the Standing Committee for Technical Notification
- the Senior Officials Group on Conformity Assessment Policy (IMP)
- the Committee for Technical Barriers to Trade - World Trade Organization (TBT - WTO)
- the GLP
- the FAB
The main certification body of the country is the Cyprus Certification Company, a subsidiary of the CYS.
There also exist international quality system registration bodies in Cyprus:
- EUROCERT S.A.
The CE marking is required while importing into Cyprus, as it is a declaration that the product meets all the appropriate provisions of the relevant legislation implementing certain European directives.
Food product labels must be written in Greek and indicate the followind information:
- the product name
- net contents
- name of importer/distributor
- country of origin
The organization responsible for accreditation issues is the Cyprus Organization for the Promotion of Quality.
Accreditation covers the following fields:
- Quality Management System according to standard (ISO 9001)
- Environmental Management Systems in accordance with the standard (ISO 14001)
- Health Management Systems and Safety at Work according to Standard (OHSAS 18001)
- Food Safety Management Systems according to standard (ISO 22000)
- Information Security Management System Standard (ISO / IEC 27001)
- Energy Management Systems in accordance with the standard (ISO 50001)
- Cement certification, according to the Construction Products Regulation (Regulation (EU) 305/2011))
- Factory Production Control Certification for Aggregates in accordance with the Construction Products Regulation (Regulation (EU) 305/2011)
Cyprus Organization for Standardization
Address: Limassol Avenue and Kosta Anaxagora 30, 3rd Floor, Nicosia 2014, Cyprus
Tel: +357 22 41 14 11
Fax: +357 22 41 15 11